SHOUT OUT TO BERKSHIRE-BASED MEMBERS: CAN YOU VOLUNTEER FOR DLE COMMUNITY SERVICE EVENT?April 21, 2021
DLE SHORT FILM DEBUTS: WHY THE DLE?: THERE’S A REASON FOR EVERYONEApril 21, 2021
By Katie Kelly, DLE Social Media Intern, Communications and Culture major with a concentration in Media and a dual minor in Sports Journalism and Digital Technology and Emerging Media at Fordham University, New York, NY
Likeability applies to any workplace. Building relationships is a game-changer for working with others, gaining trust and achieving goals.
Two-term, New York State Assemblyman Colin Schmitt shared his experiences on the topic at April’s DLE Culture Chat. Colin, whose political career began as a teenager, provided relationship-building tips that have helped him connect with others and advance his career. Here are highlights:
- Be authentic: Colin said that being truthful and honest is crucial when building a relationship’s foundation. “It is important to be authentic and tell your truth, even when what you say is not what people want to hear. You will gain others’ respect by being truthful and honest instead of only trying to satisfy others.” Have the confidence to say what you think authentically.
- Listen and find mutual ground: Focused listening is how you make a strong connection with those around you. Be the one person who will listen, learn and understand others. Listening creates value to yourself that can help you down the line.
- Own up to yourself: Self-awareness and mindful reflection are essential. Sometimes you may do something that offends others. When the time is right, own up to your mistakes. Be the bigger person in a situation and show that you are open to critiques to help you learn and be better.
- Be curious: Curiosity shows others you care. Do things that push you outside of your comfort zone. Ask questions when you do not understand something. These actions will show others that you can grow.
- Understand others: Have awareness for those around you. Understand that everyone comes from different backgrounds, experiences and cultures. Always take into consideration the people who surround you. You are not the only person in the room with a voice to be heard.
DLE events are the perfect way to take the skills you learn and apply them in a welcoming and safe environment. Enhance your communication skills by registering for the April 28 DLE Ownership Workshop with experts from Toastmasters International. Register now for Nix the Verbal Tics and Become a Better Public Speaker starting at 5:15 pm ET.