By Jessica O’Neill, DLE Marketing Intern, Finance and Marketing Dual Major, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
The pandemic may have turned the world upside down, but your brand does not have to suffer.
Global branding expert Cindy Marshall, Founder and CEO of SHINE Strategy, coached an enthusiastic group of DLE Ownership Workshop attendees on March 31 to confidently project their brand by applying these six steps to transcend virtual challenges:
- Know your unique value: Clarity is key. It is vital to emphasize what differentiates your brand from others. Your brand message should be clear.
- Know your brand community: The group of individuals who must know you. These include decision-makers, influencers and people inside and outside of the company.
- Build your LinkedIn profile: A very critical step. It is essentially your online resume. Our poll showed that 47% of the attendees use LinkedIn daily. Your headshot, headline and summary are the main aspects that influence your first impression on others. Do not be afraid to connect with people!
- Know your social media preferences: Find your niche social media platform. You do not need to be visible on every platform, but find what resonates with you and go with it.
- Commit to being visible: To be a strong brand means to be available and communicative. Being an active communicator is beneficial. A great way to stay engaged is by commenting on other people’s contributions or sharing posts with your brand community.
- Measure the impact of your actions: It is essential to analyze engagement, such as followers and connections, to see what strategies need to be modified to maximize your success.
Cindy recognized that a virtual world can be draining, and encouraged attendees to practice self care and be mindful to:
- Be present: Respect the basics and act with professionalism. Be reliable and respectful. Keep your camera on during Zoom meetings.
- Take control of your schedule: Get unglued from the screen after 90 minutes. Schedule shorter meetings and make time during the day for short walks and stretches.
- Create an elevator pitch: This is your brand statement. It should distinctively convey your true mission and values. Include it in your LinkedIn profile.
The video recording of How to Brand Yourself in a Virtual World with Cindy Marshall is available at no charge to workshop attendees on our YouTube Channel. Access to this professional development resource is a bonus dividend for attending a DLE Workshop.
Take ownership of your career with a confidence boost at the April 28 Ownership Workshop. Click here to register for Nix the Verbal Tics and Become a Better Public Speaker with Ana Bahrani and Saksham Manchanda, leaders in Toastmasters International, the world’s most prestigious public speaking organization.